Two Peoria police officers were involved in a shooting at 2 a.m. on Nov. 18 after a call about a wrong-way driver at 8300 W. Peoria Avenue came into dispatch a half hour earlier, according to Sgt. Brandon Sheffert, spokesman. 

The caller said the black truck was traveling west in the eastbound lanes and almost hit their vehicle. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but it would not pull over. Officers did not pursue the vehicle but remained in the area, Sheffert said.

A half hour later, Peoria dispatch received a second call stating that the same black truck was driving recklessly in the area and running red lights.  

The caller advised that the vehicle was in the gas station parking lot at 7500 W. Peoria Avenue and was repeatedly backing into the protective barriers around the propane tank, Sheffert said. When the first officer arrived on scene, he gave the driver commands through the vehicle PA system. The driver then took off and while driving through the parking lot almost struck the officer’s vehicle.

The suspect then ran his vehicle head on into an officer’s vehicle and it became stuck on a parking divider. While officers were attempting to contact the suspect, he quickly accelerated from the parking divider.

Officers were at the driver and passenger doors of the vehicle when this occurred. The suspect crashed into the front of a police vehicle, pushing it more than 30 feet, Sheffert said. Two officers fired at the suspect, striking him in the leg. Officers were able to take the suspect into custody. 

The 30-year-old suspect, whose name has not been released, sustained nonlife-threatening injuries and no officers were injured.

Each officer fired at least one round, striking the suspect, Sheffert said. Officers and fire-medical personnel provided medical aid to the suspect, and he was later transported to the hospital. No officers or innocent bystanders were injured during this incident. This information is preliminary as the investigation is ongoing.  

Officers involved in this incident had body-worn cameras, and the incident was captured on video. This investigation was turned over to detectives from the Buckeye Police Department as part of the West Valley Investigative Response Team.   PT