Peoria Officer Jason Judd, Phoenix Police Commander Greg Carnicle

Peoria Officer Jason Judd, left, died in a motorcycle accident the day after a Peoria funeral for Phoenix Police Commander Greg Carnicle, right, a Peoria resident who was killed by a suspect.

On June 30, the Peoria Police Department advised there would be heavy traffic, due to a funeral procession at Christ’s Church of the Valley for Phoenix Police Commander Greg Carnicle, who was killed in the line of duty March 29.

The next day, Peoria police posted another notice about a fallen officer:

“The men and women of the Peoria Police Department are mourning the loss of one of our own. Officer Jason Judd tragically lost his life today in the line of duty in a single-vehicle motorcycle accident.”

 Judd was a 20-year veteran of the Peoria Police Department and a U.S. Air Force veteran. 

“Officer Judd was a husband, father, friend and a great police officer. We are grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from our community and agencies throughout Arizona,” said the department statement.

“Today is a tough day for the Peoria PD,” said Peoria Chief Art Miller, during a brief press conference in front of HonorHealth Deer Valley Medical Center.

Miller said Judd was a motorcycle officer for 17 of his 21 years with the department.

“Jason was one of the finest of the finest. He was a great cop. He was an Air Force veteran and loved to serve the public of Peoria,” Miller said.

“We are definitely grieving here in Peoria, but our grief radiates out to the region. I’ve gotten many responses from the state level to the local level.

“The outpouring of support has been overwhelming.”

Indeed, there were many expressions of sorrow from those who knew Judd, whether well or casually. 

“Officer Judd gave me a speeding ticket about five or six months ago about a mile from my house,” posted Jason Sykes. “He was so friendly under the circumstance and told me his first name was also Jason and that I had a great name.”

“Jason, brother, I already miss you. My heart broke upon learning the news of your death,” said Elgin Shaw. “We had some fantastic adventures during our Air Force time together.”

Judd died after his motorcycle crashed at Liberty High School.

The Peoria Police Department has not released details of the incident, which  is being investigated by the Glendale Police Department.


Commander Carnicle honored

Carnicle was shot and killed March 29 after he responded to a domestic violence call. 

Two other officers were shot during the incident in North Phoenix  at 40th Drive and Pinnacle Peak, about 10 miles from Carnicle’s Peoria home. 

The two officers did not suffer life-threatening injuries. The suspect was shot and killed by police officers.

According to the Phoenix Police Department, “Carnicle was a 31-year veteran of the force, and was just months away from retiring. During his distinguished career, he held positions throughout the department including the special assignments unit, K9 and he most recently oversaw all evening and weekend patrol operations.”

According to a critical incident report released by Phoenix police July 2, a woman called 911 to say she was trying to evict her roommate, who refused to leave and said he had a gun.

Officers made contact with 22-year-old Jacob McIlveen, but he refused to leave the home.

Carnicle came to the home and, “Based on the suspect’s behavior and the roommate who was still inside the residence, the decision was made to enter the home,” according to the police report.

McIlveen was on the second floor and refused repeated requests to come down the stairs.

According to the report, “Commander Carnicle gives Jacob one more opportunity to come down on his own, saying, ‘So are you coming down or not? It’s a yes or no?’

“When there is no answer, Commander Carnicle begins to move up the stairs followed by Officers Hubert and Dowhan. That’s when McIlveen opens fire, hitting the three officers.”

Hours later, after refusing repeated commands to surrender, McIlveen was seen crawling out a window with a gun. An officer shot and killed him.

Commander Carnicle was remembered as a respected officer, leader and family man. He leaves behind his wife, Ann; four children CiCi, Rachel, John and Veronica; and four grandchildren. 

After the June 30 service at Christ’s Church of the Valley, a funeral procession went to  Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery in Avondale.

According to a Phoenix Police Department video tribute, “In this final farewell to Commander Greg Carnicle, family members and the honor guard pay their respects with the riderless horse, a rifle salute and the ceremonial final call.”