Peoria fire station Bulldog Heat exhaustion

Mickey, a 5-year-old bulldog, was rushed to a local fire station with signs of heat exhaustion July 16. After initial treatment by paramedics, he was taken to a veterinarian. 

With temperatures reaching nearly 110 degrees, the Peoria Fire-Medical Department is sending out a word of advice to the public: “Keep an eye on your pups as the weather continues to be warm.”

The dangers of heat exhaustion in dogs are all too real for one local family.

According to a Facebook post by the department, 5-year-old bulldog Mickey was rushed to Station 191 on July 16 after he became overheated. Paramedics “administered oxygen and used cooling techniques” before taking Mickey to a veterinarian for further treatment, the post continued.

According to officials, dogs regulate their body temperature with a form of open-mouth breathing called panting. Excessive panting, however, can be a sign of a dog experiencing heat exhaustion.

Symptoms of heat exhaustion can include collapsing, convulsions, vomiting, diarrhea or blue or bright red gums or tongue.